Sunday, April 27, 2008

PONDERRRRRRR

FAMILY
My family is quite small. Family gatherings as a kid were really not much more than our household. But my wife comes from a big family.
We were recently at a big family gathering for a 40th wedding anniversary. I watched as Little Lady and Little Sister danced and ran and played with second cousins and hugged great aunts. I realized that this is something I never knew as a kid and how fortunate my children are. They might lose all contact with these people as the older generations get pruned from the family tree, but they will never lose that sense of roots, of coming from a community called family. This sense of roots, of where we come from, of personal and family history can be very important for people. It is a psychological stabilizing force. If you have the chance to give this to your children or even to build it at some point for yourself, I suspect you will see the same value in it that I do.

No comments: