Friday, December 25, 2009

Finding Happiness... by Elayna Fernandez

Finding Happiness... by Elayna Fernandez


When I was about 12, I went to typing school so I could get my first "office" job. We had really old type writers, a strict instructor, and a tough handbook.

The handbook had the most amazing quotes we had to type over and over and over. It had anything from Plato to Abraham Lincoln. Quotes about motivation, character, ethics and positive thinking.

I started sort of a "quote book" to write the favorite quotes I learned, draw and paste pictures I liked.

One of the quotes that made quite an impact on me was:

“Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

And so I turned my attention to other things. I was very focused on things that I believed in. That was my happiness at the time.

I have known no greater happiness than being a mom. I think the happiest time of my life was expecting my girls. I loved being pregnant! Births are indeed painful the way I decided to do it, but they turned out to be a magical experience. Raising my girls has been indeed the icing on the happiness cake.

Oprah once said "The happiness you feel is in direct proportion to the love you give."

I have met the "coolest", nicest, most wonderful moms and they all have one thing in common: they are happy. Yes, they we are often exhausted, but there a big smile on our faces, there is warmth in our hearts and there is pride and joy in our soul.

I have never been happier than I am now. It is so rewarding to stop "chasing" happiness. The butterfly is on my shoulder as long as I am calm, feel peace and enjoy sharing my love - with my children, with all children, with all beings.

Motherhood is a great opportunity to find happiness by giving constant unconditional love. May we all remember Mary's joy this Christmas. In many ways, my children remind me of the Savior. I believe they sure help save my life every day.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: