Tuesday, February 27, 2007

PROCRASTINATION

Have you ever thought about why you procrastinate? Years ago I discovered that my tendency to procrastinate had its roots in teenage rebellion against my mother! When I realized how little value that rebellion had for me as an adult, I could effectively change my behavior. Procrastination is a habit, and one that can be changed- if you are willing. If you have a big project or bigdream, procrastinating will just delay it forever and find you regretting the lack of action later.When I was working on my PhD dissertation, I found myself delaying for months because it was such as huge task. FinallyI made a deal with myself: I would work on it every morningfor 2 hours. Once I did that, I could do anything I wanted to for the rest of the day! What happened is I started getting involved with the project, working 5 to 7 hours a day on it, and the draftwas finished in 6 weeks.

1. Start by taking care of some of those small tasks right away.When you do, congratulate yourself. Go to the mirror and praiseyourself.

2. Create some affirmations for your new way to deal with things."It feels great to be taking care of things easily and quickly!"(Note- do not use the word procrastination in your affirmationsbecause that gives your subconscious mind the very image ofwhat you want to change.)

3. List a few "instant tasks." What are some immediate thingsyou could take care of?

4. If you're working on a big project that seems daunting, setaside a short block of time to work on it, say 15 - 30 minutes.Establish mini-deadlines.

5. Set priorities. What are the most important tasks that needto be accomplished? Write them down and schedule them.

6. Use the magic "if." I just can\'t, but IF I could, what would I do?On the days I didn\'t feel like working on my dissertation, I would do something mindless like typing up the book list or the table of contents.

7. Recognize any fears, breathe, and let them go.

8. Identify your most creative time during the day and schedulethat time for your project.

9. Ask yourself, "How will I feel in 5 years if I don\'t put energytoward this goal?"

10. Stop judging yourself for procrastinating. Accept yourself, evenwhen you are procrastinating. Then forgive yourself and get going!

Feel free to forward this to friends and family with our copyright intact.Have a great week-end and a joyful holiday season,Love and blessings, Patricia and RickP.S. Don\'t procrastinate- check out our great holiday specials!My book with screensaver at no extra cost, discounts on our mostpopular products, and more..... go to:http://www.heartinspired.com/HS.htm© Heart Inspired Presentations, 2006http://www.heartinspired.comInspiring people the world over to a higher levelof thinking about who they are, what they\'ve got,and how to have a more powerful positive impacton the world around them.Patricia Crane, Ph.D. and Rick NicholsHeart Inspired PresentationsPO Box 1081, Bonsall, CA 92003 USA800-969-4584 or 760-728-8783If you no longer wish to receive communication from us:http://autocontactor.com/app/r.asp?ID\u003d34998200&ARID\u003d0To update your contact information:http://autocontactor.com/app/r.asp?c\u003d1&ID\u003d34998200",0]
);
//-->
!

No comments: