Thursday, February 24, 2011

good thots

A can-do attitude makes the impossible, possible."

~Scott Beare

"Our dreams form our vision, our vision establishes our beliefs, and our beliefs determine the actions needed to accomplish our dreams. This chain of events allows us to take charge of our destiny."

~Scott Beare
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

n excerpt from The Richest Man in Town
by V.J. Smith


I'm so glad I found you.

My friend, Aaron "Marty" Martinson, wrote those words in a note to me. On the pages that follow, you will discover that he didn't find me. I found him. And, thanks to Marty, I remembered a few things about life that I hadn't really thought about for a long time.

For years I had grand visions of writing a book about a leader who changed the course of history. I filled my personal library with biographies of presidents and statesmen. I wanted to understand what made their lives great - and what might be missing from mine.

In looking for answers I turned to books written by people who are successful in business and industry. For a while I searched for excellence, then I compared my habits to those of highly effective people. Like millions of people, I thought success equaled happiness.

The book I've written, though, is about a simple man who ran a cash register. He worked hard and was good to people. That, in turn, made him happy.

Can it be so simple? so free of complications? Marty thought so. He showed me how to be a better person, not one wealthier or more successful or more powerful.

He changed my life - forever.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you fall in love with potential, you learn to live with desperation.

-- Source unknown

Endings arrange themselves naturally when you are complete within yourself.

-- Alan Cohen

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed."

~Carl Jung

"It is not what you give your friend, but what you are willing to give...that determines the quality of friendship."

~Mary Dixon
The secret of joy in work is contained in one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it."

~Pearl Buck

"The big secret in life is that there is no secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you are willing to work. It is called massive action. Action is the gas in the tank. Without you, the car will not run."

~Marcy Blochowiak

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

-- Plato

No comments: